A Day in History:  The Air Force Reserve Celebrates Its 70th Birthday April 14

President Harry S. Truman established the Air Force Reserve on April 14, 1948. A critical part of our U.S. Armed Forces, their mission is to provide combat ready forces to Fly, Fight and Win.

While the Air Force Reserve may have started as a stand-by mode, it has evolved over the years, integrating itself fully with the Air Force throughout the world. More than 20% of the Air Force’s missions are accomplished through the efforts of the Air Force Reserves. In addition to traditional flying missions, the Air Force Reserve also performs specialized missions such as Modular Aerial Fire Fighting, Personnel Recovery, and Weather Reconnaissance.

Five Facts about the Air Force Reserve

  1. Total number of Air Forced Reservists is 69,200.
  2. 80% are Enlisted, while the remaining 20% are Officers.
  3. Robins Air Force Base in Georgia is the Reserve’s headquarters.
  4. There are a total of 9 Reserve bases.
  5. The Air Force Reserve is under the command of the President of the United States as the Commander in Chief.

Since the Korean War in the 1950s, the Air Force Reserve has participated in all the major conflicts, including Vietnam, the Cuban Missile Conflict, and Desert Storm. In 1997 the Air Force Reserve was officially named the Air Force Reserve Command, becoming the Air Force’s ninth major command.

As we celebrate the Air Force Reserve’s birthday, Veteran’s Commemoratives (vetcom.com) honors those who have been a part of the Air Force, as well as Veterans of all of our armed forces.  Veterans Commemoratives is proud to provide a large selection of customized jackets, rings and watches.

  • Our Career Rings are handcrafted in America with precious metals (gold and silver) and feature Service Branch emblems, career insignia, war medals and ribbons in official colors, personal birthstones – all designed to create a unique ring for each service veteran.
  • Our Military Diamond Dress Watches feature custom dials with your service branch emblem minted on a high-relief, and a diamond marking the 12 o’clock hour for an added touch of elegance.
  • Our U.S. Military Elite Bomber Jacket is tailored with fine, top-grain leather. It is available with an optional conceal-carry feature for those licensed to carry firearms. Service Branch woven patches in official colors are available, as are War Service and American Flag patches.   

You might also like:


Veterans Commemorative Dose of News:


  • Elite Bomber Jacket
  • warcarrin mini banner
  • warcarwat mini banner

Testimonials:

  • I received my United States MA-1 Bravo Jacket yesterday and I am very pleased with it. Thanks

    Charles W

  • Thank you very much for the two beautiful garments! Both the MA1-Bravo Jacket and the Concealed Carry Soft Shell Vest fit perfectly and are tailored to perfection. They are rugged and warm, exactly what I was looking for.

    Ed J.

  • I received the jacket this past Wednesday. I just love it. Good quality, feels great, and looks sharp. I have been looking for such a jacket the past few years and have finally found it.

    Edward A.

  • Dear Vetcom, Received the MA-1 Bravo Jacket yesterday. Thank you so very much, made a Veteran very happy. Was so hoping to have it on time for him to wear on Veterans Day and you made sure it was here in time. The jacket is beautiful and my husband just loves it. Again, thank you so very much and God bless.

    Jessie H.


More News & Stories:

A Day in History:  April 23 is the Army Reserves 110th Birthday

On April 23 the Army Reserve will celebrate its 110th Birthday.

Read more

A Day in History:  The Air Force Reserve Celebrates Its 70th Birthday April 14

President Harry S. Truman established the Air Force Reserve on April 14, 1948. A critical part of our U.S. Armed Forces, their mission is to provide combat ready forces to Fly, Fight and Win.

Read more

We Will Never Forget - Holocaust Remembrance Day is April 12

The Days of Remembrance take place each year over an eight day period, Remembrance Day, which marks the anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, will be held on April 12.

Read more

Honoring the Army – April 6 is Army Day

The origin of Army Day goes back to Defense Test Day, which was held in 1924 and 1925.

Read more

“VETERANS COMMEMORATIVES:  A DAY IN HISTORY” - Gold Star Wives Day is April 5

Although the first Gold Star Wives Day was celebrated on December 18, 2010, in 2012 Senate passed a resolution designating April 5 as Gold Star Wives Day.

Read more